Saturday, September 19, 2009

In Morocco

I am finally in Morocco. I spent a week for an orientation with all 63 people in my training group. It consisted of a few shots and lots of paperwork. I am now at my CBT (Community Based Training) site in the mountains of Morocco. It is such a beautiful view. The 4 other people in my CBT group are a lot of fun and it should be a good 2 months here. I have learned a lot of Arabic in the past two weeks. It is very intense with Arabic classes for at least 5 hours a day. My host family is awesome. The two daughters teach English and have been a great help in learning Arabic. The first day with the family was overwhelming with a lot of Arabic spoken to me at once. I am finally starting to understand what they are saying to me--hand motions help a lot along with pointing to things. Learning to use a Turkish toliet was definitely an experience. Now I'm off to dinner with my host family.

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having so much fun so far!!! You are so brave and we are so proud of you. Hope you continue enjoying yourself!!!

    <3 Carolyn and Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy you are doing well. You'll be fluent in Arabic before you know it. Hugs and kisses XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    Daddy and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am new to your blog. You are so brave, and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI RACHAEL BEBA AND I SO ENJOYED READING YOUR BLOG. YOUR HOST FAMILY SOUND WONDERFUL. WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU AND WHAT YOU ARE UNDETAKING. WE LOVE HEARING FROM YOU LOVE YOU BEBA AND GRAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachael we are so happy for you. Love the blog!! Can't wait to see pictures cause we can't imagine what it's like. Love you, Aunt Kaye and Uncle Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachael , We miss you at the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK --- so --- what is so different with a turkish toilet? Enquiring minds want to know!
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. woohoo! blog update!! sounds incredible! do the toilets spin in the opposite direction like they do in Australia? or are they way old school with a chain/pulley system thing like in the early European monarchies? glad to hear you're doing well and having a good good time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness...a turkish toilet!! I have seen them a bunch of times, there was always an option for a regular toilet so I would take that! Good luck with the Arabic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANNIE WAS NOMINATED FOR THE PEACE CORPS!! annnnnnnnnnnd we miss you soo much!! <3 <3 When can we come visit?!
    --carolyn & annie (if you couldn't guess)

    ReplyDelete