Monday, August 31, 2009

The Process

Why did I join the Peace Corps? I don't even remember the reason anymore. I have always liked helping people and traveling. The Peace Corps seemed like the perfect way to combine the two. I kept reading articles about Mary Washington alumni joining the Peace Corps and I knew that that is what I wanted to do. I had a lot of support from the faculty at Mary Wash, my boss, and my family who encouraged me through the process. Two years is a long time, and it is the main reason that deters people from joining. However, it is a once in a lifetime experience and two years is not really that long. I spent four years in college and it seems like a blur now.

My Peace Corps Time Line:
The whole process was exhausting, full of anticipation, waiting, and lots of forms. Overall it was the most lengthy, time-consuming "job application" that I have ever endured. In the end it was worth it...well I hope since I don't leave for a week. It has been over a year since I started this process:

July 21st 2008:
Submitted Peace Corps Application.

July 31st 2008:
Received an e-mail from my recruiter.

September 2008:
After a lot of phone tag with my recruiter I FINALLY had my interview. After a lengthy, two hour phone interview I was nominated. She told me I had been nominated for the Caucus Region of Eastern Europe (including countries such as Azerbaijan and Armenia). I was stocked!

Then I received my medical paperwork and began making doctors appointments-doctor, dentist, and eye doctor.

January 2009:
Finished all the doctors appointments and mailed in my medical paperwork.

February 14, 2009: Dentally Cleared!

March 2009: Medical Clearance!!

April 2009: A placement officer called. I had officially been offered and invitation to serve in the Peace Corps, however she did not tell me where I was going, I had to wait for the mail. 5 days later it came! A huge envelope. In it my invitation to serve as a Youth Development Volunteer in Morocco!
--Morocco, I was so surprised since I had been nominated for another region entirely. However, I was ecstatic with the news.

April 23, 2009: I accepted my invitation for Peace Corps Morocco.

And you that that was all?? Once you accept your invitation there is much more to do.
-Fill out a Government Passport application (which is different than a personal passport) and take new passport photos.
-Then send in an aspiration and motivation statement. I thought the essays were over after the application, apparently not.
-Send in a resume and my transcripts.
-Every so often the Morocco Country desk will send an e-mail with a questionnaire. It is to help them with placing you with a family and the structure of training.

August 2009: Recieved the information about staging. I finally knew where the first leg of the journey was. I will be going to Philadelphia, PA September 8th then on the 9th we will be bussed to JFK and will fly out that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment