Friday, August 28, 2009

Sending Mail/E-mail

Here is what the Peace Corps writes about communicating with Peace Corps Volunteers:

Mail:

It normally takes 10 to 12 days for an airmail letter to arrive from the United States. Surface mail takes from one to four months. Mail that goes through the Moroccan post office is subject to customs inspection, censorship, and currency control. Mail delivery is sporadic. Also, do not send cash through the mail, as it will seldom reach me. Please check the U.S. Post Service website at www.usps.com for the latest updates on how best to send your letter or package. Currently, the USPS recommends air Parcel Post (not surface mail) for packages, or airmail for letters.

Packages should be sent in brown padded envelopes. Make sure they have the green customs label and are marked as gifts, which should prevent the imposition of fees. However, packages can not be sent during training, it is best to wait until volunteers have a permanent address. My training ends in November so I should have a permanent address I will post then.

E-mail:

Volunteers, typically, are able to access e-mail and the Internet at cybercafes. Most Volunteers do not have a cyber cafĂ© at their site, but most are within a few hours’ travel from one. I should have internet pretty close to my site. Youth Development Volunteers often are placed in larger cities which have more internet capabilities.

In short, don't be worried if I don't respond right away. I am not sure how often I will have internet or how long it will take for mail to reach me, so be patient. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment